Thursday, June 18, 2009

Support Raising

I was thinking about writing this even before Lesley's encounters and entry yesterday, but it seems like a great followup to what she wrote. Accordingly, well... um... that would be God?

One of the summers in college, I did a "Summer Project" in Virginia Beach, VA with Campus Crusade for Christ, and it was an awesome summer that I reflect on and wish I could live at that pace again and dedicate more focus on God again. I think that is one facet of the many factors that have lead Lesley and I to go serve in Kenya. (Yes, that would be God.)

I've found myself explaining to people that can't believe we're trying to sell a lot of our stuff and going with not a whole lot of stuff, that it feels freeing to declutter and refreshing to look forward to not being so "go go go" as our society has become. I imagine some of that will linger with me - I anticipate wanting to go play football (soccer) or whatever may spring up in every free time I have, but I know the pace of life in Kenya is different and we will adjust.

However, and the point I am trying to get to with the Summer Project story, is the fact that it was my only other experience raising support. Probably not unsurprising for a first time experience, but I did not have great success at fundraising for the summer. It did not sour the summer by any means, which can probably be attributed to graceful and supportive people on the project that were in charge of receiving my money and coming along side to encourage me in my efforts to raise support throughout the summer (I don't recall if I ever made it to the full amount). At any rate, this difficulty in support raising led me to believe that perhaps I was more of a "sender" and I have taken joy in supporting friends in their endeavors for the Lord.

And yet, here I am, raising support with my wife to go to Kenya. That would be God.

(p.s. - it has been great; I've found a lot of joy in talking with friends, family and reconnecting with people I haven't talked to in a while to share about this adventure. Support is coming in gradually (Thank you!), but still quite a bit to go...)

No comments:

Post a Comment