Thursday, July 23, 2009

Interesting, kind of funny, and great information

We are in California to visit Lesley's family, and it is a great little break from all the preparation before we enter the homestretch that is sure to be a bit crazy (as if times so far haven't been). As you can tell, this provides a chance to post an update with some things I've found and wanted to share:

As you may have seen, we've been meeting with some great people to make some good connections and gather all the advice we can. Meanwhile, Lesley also gets her hands on all the books that she can, and I've taken to browsing blogs to glean information about Africa and Kenya. Well, she browses blogs too - she reads SO much more than I do! ...and probably better ones for our preparation too.

The INTERESTING:
Just the other day, perhaps the best blog about Africa that I've found by a really cool, techie guy who calls his blog "white African", posted an entry about The Curious Case of Africa Blindness. There are a few really great images that I don't want to steal, and he explains that, "A scotoma is a blind spot in your vision. Everyone has it, and it’s due to the lack of photoreceptors where your optic nerve exits your eyeball. Normally, it’s right at the center of your vision. It’s curious to note that most maps have Africa placed squarely in the center, and most are blind to it as well." Then, he goes on with some other great information about Africa's position in the world.

The KIND of FUNNY:
A post back in May also shared some images and maps trying to answer So, just how big is Africa?? The recent entry I talked about above reminded me of this one that I meant to share, but never really got the chance until now. The first map shared the "Total Number of NY Times Articles Covering Countries in Africa, 1981 to 2008," and I was pleased to see that Kenya looks to be above average. It gets funny with another map comparing the land mass of Africa with choice parts of the rest of the world, like Western Europe and the British Isles (aren't they part of Western Europe?) and the (continental) U.S. The humor ensues with the "Contents of Africa According to the Rest of the World," which does not even include the Sahara desert, Congo jungle, or gorillas!?!

The GREAT:
Back to the white African blog, and a post in June that I've found valuable (and need to reference again over the next few weeks!). He provides 15 Travel Tips for Africa in response to another NY Times piece by "Nicholas Kristof [who] is a well-traveled journalist for the NY Times, going to some of the most far-flung reaches of the world, so he does have good advice for travelers." It is quite techie oriented, so not all of it really applies for our trip. Nevertheless, I personally enjoy how he tempered Kristof's "#10. Don’t wear a nice watch, for that suggests a fat wallet and also makes a target..." with his own "#13. Watches are overrated. It’s just one more thing to carry, use your cell phone for the time. Time doesn’t matter as much anyway to be honest… I haven’t worn one for years, but it could be I’m missing something here." I'll side with his closing comment, because I love my watches, but will take only my "Walmart" Timex Ironman - after all, I need something to cover my watch tan line.

That reminds me, I need to get the battery replaced on that trusty old piece. Add it to the to-do list that doesn't seem to shrink, but at least we keep checking things off at a pace to keep it manageable...

Thanks for at least skimming to this point. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment