Friday, August 14, 2009

Travel … or, Boredom-Induced Deep Thoughts at O’Hare


People often say that they “love to travel.” In fact, I know very few of my friends or acquaintances who would not include travel as one of their interests or desires, and fewer still who would admit to not enjoying travel at all.


What is it, in the human spirit, that has such a desire to leave home? To see new things, or favorite old things of our memories? Or is it simply that we get a vacation from work and spend time with those we love? And what is it about traveling that we actually enjoy? Do we like to squeeze shut a stuffed suitcase, waddle through security lines, and bake in summer traffic? Would you cherish your experience as much if you just snapped your fingers and arrived?


I would argue that no, we would not, or at least I would not, have nearly the same experience without the transition, discomfort, and sometimes surprise of actually going from one place to another. Perhaps I am a person who needs transition more than others (and I am pretty sure that I am), but there is something about the anxiety the night before you leave, the anticipation of getting closer and closer, and of course the adventure of seeing the new places and people in between. Plus, I actually really enjoy having the chance to sit and read for hours on end! :-)


Chris and I have traveled by road and plane most recently, but have previously traveled by boat and will soon travel by train. Currently we sit in Chicago’s O’Hare airport, and I really am enjoying the fact that we transitioned from our regular apartment to a temporary one, from Wisconsin to Illinois, and now through 4 airports and a few train stations to reach our new home in Kenya. Mentally I am taking steps closer and closer to this huge transition. Maybe if I was going on a short vacation I would wish to arrive sooner, but as it is, I know that I must embrace this initial trip as part of the larger journey.


Luggage is also an interesting aspect of travel. What does your luggage symbolize? Is it sleek and results-oriented? Is it bungee-tied and exotic? Is it floral and comforting? Or is it generic black, with a little TSA-lock and a piece of colorful flair to identify it as your own? Of course we are dreadfully unique with the fourth option.


A guidebook we recently obtained suggested that no one ever returned from a trip abroad saying that they wished they had brought more luggage. I agree whole heartedly; we may have wanted to pack “light,” but when you go overseas for a year your definition of “light” shifts a little. We checked approximately 3.5 bags worth of items that are for us alone and about 2.5 bags worth of items for other people (gifts, donations, things for friends in Kenya that can’t be bought there). We also have backpacks full of books, games, food, and computer for the 40+ hours of travel.


Getting through security (twice three times) and trekking across airports is not a piece of cake when you are loaded down with bags, but ultimately I think there is a more significant reason to limit your baggage. As I sit here surrounded by my laptop, favorite snacks, latest bestseller and change of cute clothes I feel as though I am cocooned by my own comfortable world. I am taking my California-Chicago-Wisconsin habits and attitudes and preferences and desires with me as I simultaneously tell myself that I need to be prepared to adapt, learn, and embrace a new culture. Is this the wisdom of experienced international travelers that I have yet to learn? Must you pack less not only to leave room for souvenirs but also for new customs, ideas, and friends? I think we will find out.

2 comments:

  1. L&C - Great to hear you made it to Kenya! I look forward to following your adventures. I wish you two nothing but the best. Love you both - Aunt Robin

    ReplyDelete