Friday, September 11, 2009

Chris a Kenyan footballer?

Well, first I should explain that I have begun work on some projects, so I am not just playing football (soccer) with the kids and having fun all the time. I recently went with Tito and the local “engineer” (experienced handyman who knows how to weld) to look at a couple used (and at various stages of rusting) trailers for the tractor. We were inquiring about their costs because they had heard that they were for sale and we could have renovated them. However, it turns out they were not for sale, but a good scouting trip for design ideas and a quote on materials and labor as a starting point.

Meanwhile, my joining the futboli mazoezi (football practices) have led me to an interesting position… that is potentially a position on the field in their league beginning this weekend! I must share the conversation from Thursday in which I learned this information:

Jimmy: We are playing futboli this Saturday.
Me: Oh, yes, the tournament begins… (Tito showed me the schedule of the “Tito Cup Tournament” that he is sponsoring, and it is like a league for a couple months with semi-finals for the top teams)
Jimmy: Yes, we are playing, including you.
Me: Including me?!
Jimmy: Sure, if you can. Are you traveling?
Me: (hesitantly) Well, no, but I did not know I would be on your team. I thought I’d watch another game that is here at this field.
Jimmy: Oh, yes, you should play with us. We have a jersey for you, and socks. You will play number 7. If Tito wants you to travel you should tell him, “No, you’d like to play in the football games.”
Me: (laughing, and having learned that their field positions are numbered) What postion is number 7?
Jimmy: It is right forward.
Me: I’m not a very good forward.
Jimmy: Oh, you are defense?
Me: Yes, a defender.
Jimmy: I see, but the other team is very good, you have to be a strong defender (and a descriptive Swahili word that I did not catch).
Me: (laughing) Oh, so I am not good enough? Is that why I am put at forward?
Jimmy: Yes, see, you go to forward and they come attack you, and foul you, and if it is in the box we get a penalty kick and score! They will see a mzungu (white person) and come attack you, and you go down and we get the call (demonstrating how I’d fall, then whistling like a referee, and adding to my amusement).
Me: Geez! I would need pads!
Jimmy: We have some you can use… (I was joking about some real pads, but it probably did not come across culturally, and I’m sure he is talking about shin guards…)

The topic was changed by one of the other guys at that point, so I’m afraid I have not talked my way out of being on the team. There are several reasons I am hesitant to join them right away: I am still quite rusty and not quite back in shape for a full game of serious soccer, so he is probably correct that I am not good enough. Plus, after his descriptions, I am a little bit scared! Beyond that, if what he says is true, would that dynamic on the field be a very good atmosphere (for all, not only my safety), much less an acceptable tactic if they employed a trend of playing the ball to me trying to get it to happen?

Hmm, to play or not to play…

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud! Can't wait to tell Holly and Josh that you're playing soccer too (our season starts tomorrow). Maybe Josh should try to fall down too? :)

    -Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious!! Thanks for keeping us updated with all your blogs. I have to catch up on the last few, but had to comment on this one, and we are thinking of you two often! Elissa

    ReplyDelete