Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Slightly Ironic Day

The other morning, I noticed the tail of a rat behind the couch in the living room. I was aware of at least one around due to the nibbled holes in packages of cornmeal, flour & oats that were in double zip lock bags hoping to enclose the scent, and even packets of milk were nibbled and leaked all over the place beginning on Lesley’s last couple days. Therefore, I was more than happy to move the trap I had in the kitchen over to the end of the couch and barricade both ends with shoeboxes. Sure enough, curiosity killed the rat (to modify the common phrase) and it was caught within about 5 minutes! It was a big one too, but I’ll spare you the pictures. I reset the trap in the kitchen just in case there are more, and found another caught later in the day too.

The irony comes in when I picked up the book The Wind In the Willows that evening… this is a book that I’ve never had the chance to read until now (Lesley’s parents sent it in a care package recently for us to read if we want and donate to the school). Yet, I’ve long loved the following quote from it (as many sailors probably do), “There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” Little did I realize that the phrase is declared by Mr. Grahame’s Water Rat character.

Looking back, I also took a new computer mouse to the school among a few other things. Mouse or rat, the live ones are both creepy, annoying rodents if you ask me.

1 comment: