Saturday, November 7, 2009

Successful Projects!

I forgot to share that when a few trees had to be “felled” for the new road, the wood was quickly claimed for firewood… a few “mamas” (in the Swahili sense of mothers, not the slang from MTV or anything) came wielding their machetes much better than I hacked away with one when the men gave me a turn. However, I believe most of the firewood was collected by the men for Ribe Youth Development Association (RYDA), because by “youth” they mean up to 30, or 35 even… good for them, right? But the great thing is many Mribe (Ribe people) look younger than they actually are too!

When I asked where they were taking the wood, they told me they would sell it and the money would go back into RYDA to continue to benefit the community.

The main reason I wanted to share this is that they used the handcart we made! The loose dirt on the freshly grated road still made it a struggle, so once I snapped this photo, I joined in pushing it up the incline.

No comments:

Post a Comment