Sunday, November 1, 2009

The new road in Ribe

There has been quite a lot of work done in Ribe to turn a footpath from the current Methodist Church to the site of the first Methodist Church in all of Kenya into a dirt road wide enough for two cars to pass. The site of the first church is now mostly just the foundation, but also has the graves of the original missionaries. Then, the road continues on a little bit down to the river, and may connect up to another road for a more direct route to Mombasa.

Tito has a European friend who has lived here for about 20 years and has a construction company near Mombasa. He has helped the project by providing a bulldozer and a huge grader at various points to clear the road and even create some degree of embankments and ditches so the road does not get washed out so quickly.

I was not expecting to see the type of machine that this grader is... it was a lot bigger than I expected, with tires that are about 5 feet in diameter. In addition to dragging the earth around and leveling the road, they used it to push over a couple trees rather than having the men I was helping cut them down with their machetes (see the photos). If you recall Lucky, the chameleon we had for a couple days, that machine is what I saved him from! Once, after the grader passed by me, I hopped out into the forming road to move some stones as we were doing and then looked up to see if the grader was coming back yet, and I saw something small moving across the dirt about 10 meters away. When I went to look, I saw Lucky and the grader driving back towards us. The driver saw me looking at something (from a safe distance to the side of the approaching grader) and he slowed down just enough that the chameleon barely got out of the tire’s path – it would have definitely been crushed under there! I am not sure how it survived being tumbled through the brush and dirt in the first place, but I thought he was lucky I saw him.

Here are a couple pictures of the transformation of the new road:
Here is the site of the first church and the cemetery:
Beyond there, the road weaves through a small forest that I think could be turned into a nature preserve. Here are a couple of the sights:

No comments:

Post a Comment