Thursday, August 5, 2010

Design challenge - Marrying Craftsman and Kenyan

One of the happiest things about being "home" again is that we have an apartment and our household things back.  Now, I'm not that much of a "thing" person - we parted with a lot of our possessions before leaving, but I do particularly love my home furnishings and decor.  However, I encountered a design challenge when I realized that our pre-Kenya and post-Kenya possessions really didn't go together. 

Here is a glimpse of our style before we left for Kenya - mostly Craftsman/Frank Lloyd Wright inspired:







And here is a glimpse of the beautiful things we brought home from Kenya:


So I have a challenge on my hands:  I still love the decor we had pre-Kenya, but I also love the new items we picked up.  How do I mix the straight lines and muted colors of FLW with the geometric curves and bright hues of Kenya?   For a while I thought I had to pick one and ignore the other.  Then, after watching a fair amount of HGTV and analyzing the actual differences, I realized I could challenge my traditional sense of what matches, and could also create my own pieces of decor to bring the two divergent styles together. 

Idea 1:  Just put different pieces together and see how it goes



Idea 2:  Make my own throw pillows that use both muted and bright tones of the same color (so far have just purchased fabric, but I plan to put them in alternating thick stripes)



Idea 3:  Create original papercuts that ties in one of my favorite Kenyan themes (the Mombasa doors) while being executed in a format that fits with previous home decor (they will be similar to the FLW papercut coasters above)

Any other ideas for me?  I love getting input, especially from people who are better at home decor than I am :-).  I still have a lot of work to do, like sewing the pillows and getting art framed, but it can get very costly very quickly (especially custom framing), so it will be a work in progress for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment